The Director of Continuous Improvement is a full time position, reporting directly to the VP of Ops, or COO. This position is responsible for leading and facilitating the deployment of Lean and Continuous Improvement Initiatives across various manufacturing locations. This Director will provide subject matter expertise in leading and deploying lean concepts, Supply Chain Optimization Strategies, and the transformation of value streams across all business processes.
The Director of Continuous Improvement will work across all functions to lead and facilitate the development and implementation of a Lean culture & associated business processes. This position has primary responsibility with shared accountability, for the progress and results of the assigned manufacturing plants.
Most importantly, this candidate must champion and foster a culture that embraces change and drives continuous improvement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Support the ongoing development of an enterprise wide continuous improvement culture. Assist in efforts focused on driving employee engagement, enhancing organizational capability and developing plant based change agents.
- Provide expertise in all areas of Lean, Six Sigma, Value Stream Mapping, Quality Improvement Methods and other appropriate areas of knowledge.
- Study existing processes across all business functions to identify opportunities to drive out waste and improve profitability, and process efficiency.
- Facilitate Kaizen events using a range of Lean/CI tools.
- Deliver relevant training and coaching, to ensure employees are appropriately educated throughout the business.
- Work with all business departments to develop common work standards, as well as the identification and reapplication of best practices.
- Actively participate in the identification, development, and application of next generation continuous improvement processes/tools.
- Expert "hands on" knowledge of manufacturing and business improvement processes.
- Continuously review and improve operational productivity.
- Facilitate problem solving within departments and cross-functionally.
- Prepare and submit operating reports to management to inform them of the current production status and make recommendations to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Research, evaluate, recommend and implement investments in technology, equipment or systems that will enhance operational capabilities in order to optimize production, improve efficiency and reduce conversion cost.
- Push the improvement of processes through the use of Lean tools and by creating and sustaining a continuous improvement environment.
- Review manufacturing methods and develop product/process/system strategies to meet company objectives for quality, cost, responsiveness and growth.
- Drive Operational Excellence, Lean tools, best practices and continuous improvement.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Has the ability to energize and motivate people and to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to drive change in a fast-paced work environment
- Proven track record of creating, implementing and/or sustaining a lean operation
- Has led their organizations with a high level of integrity and accountability
- Experience in developing, implementing and improving key performance indicator metrics through strong data analysis and continuous improvement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Business or Operations related field, or BS in Engineering, or equivalent operational experience
- 5 to 7 years of technical / operations experience with focus on production, logistics or industrial engineering
- Knowledge of Operations Management and modern manufacturing/quality methods/systems
- Lean, Six Sigma, TPS, or DMAIC experience is suggested
- Previous hands-on and practical experience in using value stream mapping and implementing lean tools with proven results in at least the following areas: 5S+1, Visual Management, Standard Work, Quick Changeover and TPM preferred
- Demonstrated motivational and leadership skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Effective problem solving skills
- Effective human relations and negotiation skills
- Have the patience, perseverance and passion to drive the Lean culture across multiple plants
- Excellent communication, coaching and inter-personal skills at all levels from the shop floor to top management
- Previous experience in leading continuous improvement activities at value stream or site level
- Analytically minded and data-driven
- The candidate must also have a holistic overview of complex situations and deal effectively with difficult issues when they arise
- Credibility and experience to work effectively and directly with the site management team
- Strong organization and project management skills
- ISO 9001expereince