SP Industries is seeking a project manager to coordinate overall engineering for the design, fabrication, assembly and testing of Food, Drug and Chemical batch process capital equipment and sub-systems within the domestic manufacturing facilities of the company and, as needed, at specific job sites worldwide. The incumbent will plan, direct, and coordinate activities of designated project team members to ensure the goals and objectives of the project design and requirements are accomplished within a prescribed time frame. The incumbent will handle multiple projects and assignments for concurrent flow through engineering and production.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Maintain job binders for assigned projects and provide continuity and closure to projects.
- Prepare written communications in the form of memos, letters, spreadsheets and GANTT schedules using PC based software.
- Analyze product specifications and performance requirements to determine designs which will meet the criteria and which can be manufactured in a cost effective and timely manner.
- Determine if a design should be new or a modification of a current product considering costs, time limitations, and other technical, economic, and business factors.
- Provide technical information concerning manufacturing techniques, materials, properties and process advantages and limitations which affect long range manufacturing and product engineering planning.
- Confer with sales, estimating, engineering, service and manufacturing personnel to clarify and resolve design and manufacturing issues.
- Prepare or direct the preparation of product system layouts and detailed drawings and schematics on CAD software equipped PC platforms.
- Check drawings and documentation produced by others on the project team.
- Direct and coordinate manufacturing or building of prototype products or systems.
- Compile and analyze operational, test and research data to establish performance standards for newly designed or modified equipment or products.
- Plan and develop experimental test programs.
- Analyze test data and reports to determine if designs meet functional and performance specifications.
- Confer with research and other engineering personnel and prepare design modifications as required.
- Evaluate engineering test results for possible application to the development of new systems or improvement of existing designs.
- Some travel to other SP facilities, vendors, or customer sites may be necessary. Some travel may be foreign.
Supervisory Responsibilities (As required)
- May supervise employee(s) in the CAD Drafting and Design Engineering group when assigned by the engineering manager.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, participation in hiring committee decisions, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications: Education, Experience, and Skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Education and Experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Science Degree from a four-year college or university; or five to ten year's related training and experience in a technical, engineering, or science oriented field; or an equivalent combination of both education and experience.
- At least two years of direct project engineering experience.
- Two to five years experience in vacuum, pressure vessel, refrigeration or related engineering fields is a plus.
- Experience with Computer Aided Design (CAD) software systems such as AutoCAD or Solidworks.
- A working knowledge of technical drafting concepts, including orthographic and three-dimensional drafting principles.
- A working knowledge of dimensioning, tolerance, and drafting symbology related to welding, process piping, structural construction and other related disciplines; Specialization in any specific area of capital process equipment design is a plus.
- A knowledge of manufacturing practices and cost estimating of machinery is a plus.
- A working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite software package in such programs as Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and Project.
- Average or better verbal and written English language skills.
- Fluency in a foreign language is a plus.
- Able to effectively write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Able to write technical correspondence to vendors and customers.
- Able to effectively present information and respond to questions in one-on-one and small group situations with other employees, managers, prospective clients, and customer representatives. This may be in person, by phone, or by video conference.
- Able to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of Algebra, Plane Geometry, and Trigonometry. Able to apply these concepts to real world problems.
- Able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Able to assimilate a variety of instructions and specifications furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form and note and resolve conflicts.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- State licensure or registration is not required.
- Affiliations with Mechanical Engineering, Refrigeration, Vacuum, and Pharmaceutical, Heat Transfer or Engineering societies and groups are encouraged and recognized.
- Must be able to obtain a US drivers license.
- Must be able to obtain a US passport.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is regularly required to talk and listen.
- The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and sit.
- The employee is regularly required to use normal office tools, equipment and PCs.
- The employee is regularly required to use color vision and work with computerized data.
The work environment characteristics described here are typical of those an employee might encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work is normally performed in both the office and the shop.
- The office environment is an interior office with air conditioning.
- The shop contains mobile equipment, machinery, and high voltages.
- The shop noise level is variable and may require hearing protection in some areas.
- The shop is heated when required but many areas are not air conditioned.
- Some shop processes use high voltage arcs or concentrated magnetic fields.
If you're having issues applying through your mobile device, please click here to apply:
We're Hiring! Click here to review our careers...