The ideal candidate will have a willingness to learn, coupled with the ability to improvise adapt and overcome problems. They must have a passion for mechanical assembly, participating in cross-functional training and process improvements. This leader’s primary responsibility will be comprised of Mechanical assembly, and completing work orders to ensure on time delivery, maintain a standard for quality workmanship all while complying with all requirements of internal and external customers. Attention to detail, focus on meeting operational goals and communication are key behaviors required for success. Most importantly, this candidate embraces change and focuses on continuous operational and process improvements that further enhance the customer experience with SP’s products and services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and assemble various segments of mechanical systems and top-level assemblies as well as lower-level components and sub-assemblies under the direction of the immediate supervisor. Prepare equipment for testing.
- Interpret and use drawings, process procedures and other written documentation to complete preparation and assembly of components.
- Fabricate simpler components using various items including hand tools, power tools, fixtures, jigs, drills, taps, saws and other tools and tooling. Form, prepare and align copper, brass and plastic piping along with associated bracketing and hardware. Braze, solder and bond piping as may be required. Mount various assemblies and components.
- Perform required metal treatment processes per documented procedures and work instructions; processes include polishing, painting, and passivation.
- Meet documented specification requirements and quality standards in a cost effective and timely manner. Track all extra expenditures and locate methods to reduce costs and improve the product quality. Suggest changes for improved operations and cost savings.
- Use various types of material handling equipment including hand trucks, carts, forklifts, scissor lifts, cranes, etc. where required and available.
- Maintain a neat, clean and organized work area. This includes the entire assembly section and completing your 5s duties and responsibilities. Delegate as required.
- Complete paperwork accurately and in a timely manner as required in the manufacturing process such as: Time and Attendance Sheets, Assembly Routers, Non-conformance Records and Test Record for your section.
- Follow all safety policies, precautions, recommendations and procedures as may be applicable.
- Attend meeting as required and ensure that you are able to assist other sections and key personnel as required. Meetings are, but not limited to, Quality, Daily PIM, at section and Company, Safety and any as deemed necessary.
- Maintain an accurate headcount on all personal and all equipment associated with assembly. Disseminate maintenance work orders and coordinate with adjacent sections, vendors and ensure that you have enough raw materials to continue daily duties.
- Follow all company policies, procedures and work instructions in compliance with SP's Quality Management System. Complies with all company policies, procedures and work instructions to ensure continued ISO certification.
- Assist other production departments or operations areas based on workloads and needs. Assist in other non-production areas as may be required by supervision and management. Complete any all tasks as needed by SP Industries.
Qualifications: Education, Experience, and Skills
- Minimum high school graduate level required.
- Demonstrates capability to become ASME certified.
- Technical School a plus.
- Must be able to do Shop Math
- Must be a Universal Technician; EPA 608 certified.
- Strong analytical skills are required.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The employee is regularly required to use color vision and adjust focus between near and far objects.
- The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, climb, crawl, bend and sit.
- The employee is occasionally required to work from ladders, scaffolds, and lifts.
- Some work is performed in tight spaces with difficult access.
- The employee is regularly required to lift up to 50 pounds.
The employee is regularly required to handle tools utilizing various energy sources- low and high voltage, pneumatic, hydraulic -of low to high power.
Has the ability to discern and apply practical applications of the disciplines of the trade are required. A basic practical knowledge of manufacturing practices and cost estimating of machinery are required as part of the function of this position and can be learned on the job. Is able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Universal Technician; EPA 608 certified preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are typical of those an employee might encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The shop contains mobile equipment, machinery, and high voltages.
- The shop noise level is variable and may require hearing protection in some areas.
- The shop is heated when required but many areas are not air conditioned.
- Some shop processes use high voltage arcs or concentrated magnetic fields.
EEO and Affirmative Action Statement:
SP is an Equal Opportunity Employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis and takes affirmative action to ensure equal employment opportunities. It is our policy is to provide our employees and applicants with equal employment opportunities in accordance with applicable laws and not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, political belief, pregnancy, citizenship, handicap or disability, status as a veteran or member of the U.S. military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SP's Affirmative Action Plan is available through the HR Department and may be accessed during normal business hours.
If you're having issues applying through your mobile device, please click here to apply:
We're Hiring! Click here to review our careers...