SP is looking for a passionate, driven, and creative operations leader to take the Pocomoke, MD operations to the next level. The ideal candidate will have meaningful experience leading an injection molding department, and will have a strong background in Lean manufacturing, will be a team builder, and will thrive on building relationships both internally and externally. This leader must thrive on challenging the status-quo, and have a passion for designing, leading, and implementing cross-functional process improvements. This Plant Manager will have responsibility for leading a high mix/high volume manufacturing and distribution business that supplies consumable and durable laboratory products to the world's largest global life science distributors. The Plant Manager will be responsible for leading and guiding of all manufacturing and distribution processes within the Pocomoke, MD Plant (1 30k sq/ft facility with - ISO employees) and will be focused on leading the Plant in the achievement of daily production, quality, cost and delivery requirements in support of the business's operating plan. The plant's primary manufacturing competencies include general assembly operations, a 3 shift injection molding operation, pipette pump manufacturing, desiccator assembly, plastic bottle production, screening, and packaging, powder coating, and a machine shop. The Plant Manager will also provide daily guidance to the functional and business support roles including include planning, quality, engineering, and
maintenance. The successful candidate will be expected to develop and maintain adequate staffing and capacity plans to support SP's growing market share. This leader should be able to positively manage a skilled workforce by focusing on talent development and succession planning. Most importantly, this candidate must work with the cross functional members of the organization to implement continuous improvement tools, operational metrics, standardization of work flows, demand planning of materials/labor, schedule adherence, resource allocations, shift sizing, capacity planning and performance reporting, that at the end of the day enhances the overall customer experience and supports our profitable growth.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
I. Responsible for safety, quality, de livery, planning, budgeting, scheduling, manufacturing, engineering, and
the overall customer experience for products made at the facility.
2. Develop business plans, budgets, staffing plans, and forecasts, implements Lean manufacturing concepts.
3. Direct production and ensure cost effectiveness and consistency with safety, quality accuracy and
4. Expert "hands on" knowledge of manufacturing, injection molding, and distribution processes.
5. Manage Human Resources issues as needed.
6. Continuously review and improve operational productivity.
7. Facilitate problem solving within departments and cross functionally.
8. Plan, organize and direct plant operations to ensure the Company's Strategic goals are met in a timely, cost
effective manner that provides optimum quality, and on-time customer delivery.
9. Prepare and submit operating reports to management to inform them of the current production status and
make recommendations to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
10. Promote employee engagement and talent development by: reviewing and providing timely feedback to
reports regarding their performance; mentoring, developing and motivating them; developing an internal
talent pool; helping resolve functional issues in order to achieve targeted performance; creating mid-term and
long-term development plans for direct reports; and building transparent, cooperative, trustworthy working
environment for the employees.
11 . Research, evaluate, recommend and implement investments in technology, equipment or systems that will
enhance the plant's production capabilities in order to optimize production, improve efficiency and reduce
12. Push the improvement of processes through use of Lean tools and by creating and sustaining a continuous
13. Review manufacturing methods and develop product/process/system strategies to meet company objectives
for quality, cost, responsiveness and growth.
14. Ensure EHS compliance by: actively searching for potential risks and mitigate them; making the necessary
reports in case of incidences; and implementing corrective and preventive measures in order to ensure the
occupational health and safety of employees, as well as compliance with necessary regulations.
15. Gain appropriate and necessary outside resources to ensure the annual business plan and planned projects are
16. Drive Operational Excellence, Lean tools, best practices and continuous improvement.
17. Other tasks as assigned.
• Responsibility includes management of employee performance, hiring, discipline, development and recourse
• Acts as a member of the management team and performs other duties as directed.
• Responsible for enhancing workplace morale while operating with the highest ethical standards.
• Direct supervision and coordination of: Production Managers, Supervisors, Quality/Regulatory team members,
Logistics, Maintenance, Engineering, and Supply Chain.
• Immediately reports injuries to management.
• Proven ability to improve employee engagement
• Skilled at building high performance teams
• Skilled at developing and executing operational improvement road maps
• Proven track record of enhancing operational efficiency in a high volume/high mix injection molding and
• Skilled at utilizing Lean, Six Sigma, TPS, or DMAIC to make improvements to manufacturing/business
• Data driven, with a strong working knowledge of Excel
• Skilled at analyzing large data sets to identify improvement opp01tunities
• Must have strong working knowledge of MRP/ERP planning and execution concepts
• Must have strong working knowledge of Inventory Management/Control systems
• Demonstrated motivational and leadership skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Effective problem solving skills
• Effective human relations and negotiation skills
• Strong organization and project management skills
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• BS in Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, Engineering or equivalent operational experience
• Minimum of 10 years' experience in Manufacturing Operations with demonstrated supervisory experience
• Minimum of 5yrs experience leading an injection molding business/department
• Must have experience in a high mix manufacturing environment
• Experience manufacturing products for global distributors
• Experience applying quick change, cell design, daily management, value stream mapping, supply chain
• Experience utilizing an A TO/MTO/MTS manufacturing strategy
• Knowledge of Operations Management and modern manufacturing/quality methods/systems
• Experience in an ISO 9001 :2008 or 2015 environment
• Experience with computer based Manufacturing Information Systems
• Sales and operations planning experience
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee is regularly required to talk and listen
• The employee is regularly required to use color vision and adjust focus between near and far objects
• The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, crawl, bend and sit
• The employee is occasionally required to lift 25 to 50 pounds
Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment. The work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this
job. While working on the manufacturing floor, the below working conditions may be present:
• The shop contains mobile equipment, machinery, and high voltages
• The shop noise level is variable and may require hearing protection in some areas
• The shop is heated when required but many areas are not air conditioner