The Calibration Specialist is responsible for the processing of calibrations for temperature, density and time instruments submitted by customers for service or new products sold from inventory. The Calibration Specialist also supports Production by testing incoming purchased instruments and other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Command the operation of equipment, perform routine calibrations, test and check for proper operation and output
- Record calibrations in the format required for ISO standards compliance
- Assist calibration process with order entry and calibration reporting process
- Assist the Senior Specialist with job setup, monitoring, execution, recording and producing reports
- Equipment startup and shut down for assigned shift
- Comprehension of work instructions and equipment manuals, NIST and ASTM procedures
- Consistent and predictable attendance is expected
- Compliance with company rules, regulations, ISO standard procedures, regulatory responsibilities, OSHA/SHARP programs
- Reporting of unsafe conditions or acts; immediate reporting of accidents or injuries
- Practice and demonstrate safe work habits
- Maintain organization and cleanliness in the work areas
- Use of prescribed personal protective equipment at all times
- Ability to contribute to improvement of the processes and documented information
- Participate in safety meetings and demonstrations
TALENTS and/or EXPERIENCE
- Reading analog and digital instruments
- Time management and multi-tasking
- Record keeping ability, both written and computer based
- Must be computer literate; MS Word, Excel and Outlook helpful
- Must be detail oriented, and possess the ability to learn and relate to technical services
- Must be proactive and function well as a problem solver
- Ability to handle delicate calibration equipment standards appropriately
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Work with and support the Calibration Lab and Production team for common goals
- Familiar with NIST and ASTM calibration procedures, metrology, monitoring and measurements
- ISO 17025:2017 accreditation standard and quality requirements
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, and REGISTRATIONS
- HS Diploma/equivalent, College Degree and/or Technical schooling or experience as a metrologist or calibration specialist required; training or previous experience with NIST traceability/processes/procedures a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
Work is normally performed in a production environment; some areas have little or no climate control.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, sit, bend, stoop, kneel, lift, carry, push, pull; use both hands; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to work around hazardous materials safely and wear personal protective equipment as prescribed.
- Ability to work with ultra low temperatures down to -80ºC, high temperatures up to 400ºC, and the equipment that produces these temperatures
- Some extra hours work may be required
- Maintain customer property turn around for five day processing
- Contribution to team goals: on-time delivery, ship targets
- Checking and monitoring calibration standards for correct performance
- Acceptable results in formal proficiency tests