The Assistant Controller is responsible for performing general, cost and financial accounting functions for the Company’s U.S. Scientific division. This includes developing and executing processes to ensure timely and accurate financial closings, internal management reporting, and supporting analysis. The position will partner with the Plant Leadership and Operations teams to ensure the plans, actions and results are aligned with SP’s strategy and expectations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs financial, general and cost accounting functions for the division in accordance with GAAP and Corporate policies
- Supervises, trains and develops staff
- Executes and supervises the monthly financial closing program within prescribed timelines
- Maintains the division’s system of accounts and ensures adequate support and documentation for all company transactions
- Evaluate internal controls and system controls to identify areas of improvement and implement changes as needed
- Look and implement continuous improvement opportunities
- Serves as a subject matter expert on all financial and cost modules and interfaces for the Division’s ERP system
- Interacts and provides support to other functional areas of the business to help achieve Company goals
- Works with external auditors to provide all requested information as needed
Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Prepares monthly financial statements and reporting
- Develops, analyzes, and reconciles statistical and accounting information for monthly and quarterly financial and balance sheet reviews
- Assesses operating results in terms of profitability and performance against plan/prior year to ensure accuracy and work with management to identify opportunities for improvements
- Participates in annual strategic planning and budgeting, periodic forecasting, and management reporting processes
- Maintains effective internal controls to ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Corporate requirements
- Conducts monitoring of all sales and margin related changes and provides analysis of performance versus expectations and market trends
- Work with Sales and Operations departments to develop forecasts and the annual budget
- Strong technical and analytical skill with solid financial, general and cost accounting background in a manufacturing and distribution environment
- Experience with standard cost systems and integrated financial software
- Ability to draw upon experience/professional skepticism to quickly identify issues and develop effective courses of action
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Composes documents that clearly present information or a plan
- Participate in cross-functional teams working collaboratively with engineering, manufacturing, packaging, materials management, and/or planning
- Willingness to work across all levels of an organization
- Ability to work across cultures
- Able to manage conflict
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BS. or BA in Accounting or related discipline with equivalent work experience
- 8+ years finance, accounting or related work experience required.
- Experience in a manufacturing/cost accounting environment required.
- Previous experience with accounting software/systems required
- Advanced financial analysis and quantitative skills
- Excellent accounting analysis and research skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools including Word and Powerpoint. Exceptional Excel skills required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- CPA, CMA or similar professional accounting designations preferred but not required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
As we continue to grow and provide leading edge products to our customers, we understand hiring the right people and treating them well is critical to our success. There are many exciting reasons to join the SP Team.
- We provide a wide range of innovative and high quality scientific products that improve people lives.
- We are customer-focused and value our team’s expertise.
- We respect each other and foster a collaboration work environment.
- We innovate and are open to change.
- We are responsible and accountable and act with integrity.
- WE LIKE WHAT WE DO
SP INDUSTRIES OFFERS
We are proud to provide a comprehensive benefits program focused on your total well-being.
- Competitive compensation package
- A robust health and welfare benefits package that includes: Life, Health, Dental, Vision
- The opportunity to plan for the future with a strong 401(K) including company match!
- Time to recharge with Paid Time Off annually + Paid Holidays
- Career Advancement opportunities and Tuition Assistance to help you achieve your goals and continue your career growth.